Everyone has some sort of superstitions in their life, whether it be the usual not walking under ladders or a little strange and different. It keeps us alive and going, and thought it seems crazy we hold onto these superstitions because they are what we believe in! There's always a reason for why....
Recently i've realised that I hold many supersitions related to my exams. I am definately not a superstitious person or believe in the bad luck you would get if you stepped on cracks or walked under ladders (even if i may do it for fun). However, these things that I do always seem to work. I think that I do better if I follow these, and if I dont (which i've tried) I seem to do worse in my exams than I would want. Maybe its because I dont know my content or what, but it seems to work. There may be higher powers out there... or maybe not? I guess the unknown remains unknown....
[Are you superstitious?]
1. A couple of days before my exam I can't be distracted by music. Music of any kind. Whether it be my sister strumming along on her electric guitar, music on the t.v. or my mp3 player on the way to the venue is a no. My mind needs to be peaceful and filled with endless information. I feel that if I listen to music as I have done in the past, that all the information dissapears somehow.
2. I must wear the same clothes that i've been studying in. Not the exact same clothes but of similar items. I can add or subtract but the essentially same clothes must present. Bizzare or not I think that the information absorbs onto the clothes and just helps me somehow.
3. No T.V! Like the music I cannot have any distractions. Depending on the time of the exam, I spend most of the day eating in silence reading my notes.
4. I must take my notes on the buses to the exam. I feel slightly awkward without taking it. Maybe its a security blanket but I dont understand how people can just sit and be so calm listening to music etc, while i'm reading away. Maybe I feel that I will learn something in the last hrs or so before the exam that maybe useful.
5. No social media usage the night before the exam and the day of the exam (depending on morning/afternoon). The only social media I use is my uni emails and our facebook page which people post questions. By answering them I test my knowledge.
So here are my exam superstitions. Dr Brennan always says there are no such things as coincidences but when I do follow these magical things happen to my grades. Maybe there is a scientific explanation for it... there always is a scientific explanation right?
They are a little crazy, but maybe you have your own ones... ones that you'd want to share!